Basic Skills Plus
Basic Skills Plus is an initiative that help Basic Skills students transition to post-secondary education and jobs with family sustaining wages. Formerly, such students followed a linear progression through basic and secondary education before enrolling in college-level courses. This initiative integrates Basic Skills and occupational education to accelerate students more rapidly through completion of a credential of value in the local labor market. The System Office's major desired outcome of this initiative is the implementation of Basic Skills Plus in all 58 colleges by 2014.
Basic Skills Plus
In 2010, building on more than ten years experience with Pathways to Employment programs, which funded local programs to integrate occupational short term courses and Basic Skills, the System Office created Basic Skills Plus to provide full integration of adult secondary instruction (GED and Adult High School), with college occupational education (both curriculum and continuing education), and employability skills. In July 2010, the North Carolina General Assembly adopted a budget bill with provisions enacted to support Basic Skills Plus. In November 2010, the first two colleges were approved by the State Board of Community Colleges to provide Basic Skills Plus programs. In November 2012, 43 colleges have been approved by the State Board to offer Basic Skills Plus, which is considered the umbrella program for transition programs for Basic Skills students in North Carolina’s community colleges.
Contact Dr. Cassandra Atkinson at 919-807-7144 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent Activity Report
Basic Skills PLUS Career Pathways by Career Cluster--College and Career ReadinessWednesday, March 25, 2015 - 14:43
Colleges submit career pathways for approval to the NC Comunity College System. Career Pathways must address and meet expectations for approval of the following areas:
1. Evidence of strong local demand for the jobs targeted by the career pathway supported by internal and external partnerships with local workforce development board, employers, public instruction, community based organizations.
2. Multiple adult and postseocndary education and training opportunities.
3. Contextualized and integrated instruction.
4. Systems and processes for co-enrolling students in Basic Skills and Occupational courses.
5. Instruction and training designed to ensure students are able to obtain industry recognized marketable and stackable credentials (certificates, certifications, etc.)
6. Planned entry and exit points that accommodate particpants entering at different education and skill levels.
7. Comprehensive academic and non-academic supprt for students.
8. Schedule and course plans that meet the needs of adults engaged in work and study, i.e. child care needs, accommodating work schedules, travel needs, and technology use.
9. Meets requirements of Continuing Education and Curriculum Progams of Study.
10. Career Pathway maps developed to use for marketing and recruitment with students, internal, and external partners.
10. Provide documentation of support from college administration and leadership.Key Values: Next Steps: Meetings:
|Recent Activity Reports||Post date|
|Basic Skills PLUS Career Pathways by Career Cluster--College and Career Readiness||2015-03-25 14:43|
|Accelerating Transitions and Basic Skills Plus||2014-02-07 09:34|
|Basic Skills Plus and Accelerating Transitions||2013-11-14 16:55|
|Accelerating Opportunity and Basic Skills Plus||2013-09-30 13:32|
|Accelerating Opportunity||2013-08-13 14:19|
|Basic Skills Plus||2013-08-13 14:13|
|Basic Skills Plus Activity Report, June 27, 2013||2013-06-27 15:21|
|Basic Skills Plus May 2013 Activity Report||2013-05-31 10:48|
|Accelerating Opportunity May 2013||2013-05-29 11:44|
|Accelerating Opportunity April 2013||2013-04-26 09:34|
|March 21, 2013 Activity Report||2013-03-22 13:20|
|February 26, 2013 Update||2013-02-26 08:00|
|January 4, 2013 Update||2013-01-07 13:08|
- About SuccessNC
- Guiding Goals
- Basic Skills Plus
- Career & College Promise
- Career & Technical HS to College Articulation
- Code Green Super CIP
- Common Core Alignment
- Completion by Design
- Comprehensive Articulation Agreement
- Data Initiative
- Developmental Education Initiative
- Financial Aid Simplification
- Integrated Teaching & Learning Gateway
- Math Pathways CIP
- Minority Male Mentoring
- Performance Measures & Funding
- Webinars & Videos