Basic Skills Plus
Basic Skills Plus is an initiative designed for Basic Skills students as they transition to post-secondary education, training, and employment in order to earn a sustaining living wage. Formerly, such students followed a linear progression through basic skills instruction and secondary education before enrolling in college-level or occupational courses. Basic Skills Plus integrates Basic Skills instruction with occupational education to accelerate students more rapidly through completion of a credential of value in the local labor market. Basic Skills students are co-enrolled in basic education courses in reading, mathematics, computer literacy, and writing while they complete the high school diploma or equivalency and a first employment credential. As of April 2016, all NC community colleges have State Board approval to enroll eligible Basic Skills students into a Basic Skills Plus career pathway.
Basic Skills Plus
In 2010, building on more than ten years experience with Pathways to Employment programs, which funded local programs to integrate occupational short term courses and Basic Skills, the North Carolina Community College System created Basic Skills Plus. Basic Skills Plus provides career pathways that include transitional instruction, training and support to fully integreate adult secondary instruction (Adult High School and high school equivalency) with college occupational education (both curriculum and continuing courses), and employability skills. In July 2010, the North Carolina General Assembly adopted a budget bill with provisions enacted to support Basic Skills Plus. The first two colleges were approved by the State Board of Community Colleges to provide Basic Skills Plus programs in November 2010.
Eligible students may have their course tuition (curriculum) or course registration fees waived while they are completing their high school diploma or equivalency while earning an occupational/industry recognized credential.
Contact Dr. Cassandra Atkinson at 919-807-7144 or email@example.com
Most Recent Activity Report
Basic Skills PLUS Career Pathways by Career Cluster--College and Career ReadinessWednesday, March 25, 2015 - 15:43
Colleges submit career pathways for approval to the NC Comunity College System. Career Pathways must address and meet expectations for approval of the following areas:
1. Evidence of strong local demand for the jobs targeted by the career pathway supported by internal and external partnerships with local workforce development board, employers, public instruction, community based organizations.
2. Multiple adult and postseocndary education and training opportunities.
3. Contextualized and integrated instruction.
4. Systems and processes for co-enrolling students in Basic Skills and Occupational courses.
5. Instruction and training designed to ensure students are able to obtain industry recognized marketable and stackable credentials (certificates, certifications, etc.)
6. Planned entry and exit points that accommodate particpants entering at different education and skill levels.
7. Comprehensive academic and non-academic support for students.
8. Schedule and course plans that meet the needs of adults engaged in work and study, i.e. child care needs, accommodating work schedules, travel needs, and technology use.
9. Meets requirements of Continuing Education and Curriculum Progams of Study.
10. Career Pathway maps developed to use for marketing and recruitment with students, internal, and external partners.
10. Provide documentation of support from college administration and leadership.
|Recent Activity Reports||Post date|
|Basic Skills PLUS Career Pathways by Career Cluster--College and Career Readiness||2015-03-25 15:43|
|Accelerating Transitions and Basic Skills Plus||2014-02-07 10:34|
|Basic Skills Plus and Accelerating Transitions||2013-11-14 17:55|
|Accelerating Opportunity and Basic Skills Plus||2013-09-30 14:32|
|Accelerating Opportunity||2013-08-13 15:19|
|Basic Skills Plus||2013-08-13 15:13|
|Basic Skills Plus Activity Report, June 27, 2013||2013-06-27 16:21|
|Basic Skills Plus May 2013 Activity Report||2013-05-31 11:48|
|Accelerating Opportunity May 2013||2013-05-29 12:44|
|Accelerating Opportunity April 2013||2013-04-26 10:34|
|March 21, 2013 Activity Report||2013-03-22 14:20|
|February 26, 2013 Update||2013-02-26 09:00|
|January 4, 2013 Update||2013-01-07 14:08|
- About SuccessNC
- Guiding Goals
- Basic Skills Plus
- Career & College Promise
- Career & Technical HS to College Articulation
- Code Green Super CIP
- Common Core Alignment
- Completion by Design
- Comprehensive Articulation Agreement
- Data Initiative
- Developmental Education Initiative
- Financial Aid Simplification
- Integrated Teaching & Learning Gateway
- Math Pathways CIP
- Minority Male Mentoring
- Performance Measures & Funding
- Webinars & Videos